Wednesday 1 August 2012

HOLY COW!


I opened my laptop, hoping to finish off the chemistry project.  It was the first project since the beginning of the college, and I wanted to make a good impression on the teachers.
Not that it mattered now. Everything was different in college. The atmosphere, the students, the teachers, the whole culture. Against the advice of my parents, I had chosen a college in Mumbai.

Hundreds of miles away from my home town, Jaisalmer.
Jaisalmer. The deserts, the camels, the clear skies at night, I missed the things I used to hate back then. We lived on the outskirts, but due to my school, at least I was a part of the city. Dad always cautioned me against the evils of a big town. But everything was simple there. People were always willing to stop by and talk, share their daily routines.
But here it was different. Nobody wanted to talk to anybody. It was as if they carried their own glass coffins with them and always had that steely expression on their faces. It made me feel lonely.
And some students of my class would come to college, but instead of attending any classes, they would sit outside and talk. And smoke. Urgh! What was this fascination with smoking? Everybody seemed to think it was so cool.
Nonetheless, I had to stay here for the next three years, happy or sad. Better be happy!
Moving on, as i was just starting to research for the project, I saw a facebook notification.
A new friend request. Hmm...Who could that be?
Prateek Oberoi.

Prateek Oberoi!! He was the sexiest guy on campus! Over six feet in height, well built and brown chocolate melting eyes. He had girls swooning over him. And he had sent me a friend request. Wow!

And that was when Hitesh came in. He was a senior, in second year. But we were from the same town, so we instantly hit off. We had known each other back then, but never talked. He lived close by in Jaisalmer, and my mom knew his mom. And we had become good friends.
“Oh, you have a FB account”, he said with fake horror.
I looked at him with one eyebrow raised, but he just laughed.
“So, whose pics are you checking out, eh?” he said coming towards me.
I didn’t want him to know that I was looking at Prateek’s pics, but before I could do anything, he had grabbed the laptop. In an instant he was laughing, and said “oooohhh.....so you have a crush on Prateek!!!!!”
“No. Please. Nothing like that. He was the one who had sent me friend request.
“Really?” he asked, grinning.
Not bothering to answer him, I shot him a murderous look, and went back to the research.
Next day, as I was sitting in the canteen, waiting for Hitesh, I was reading the recent chemistry journals. Somebody tapped me on the shoulder. I turned to find Prateek’s face inches away from me. Oh, he looked soo cute, and this close, I could see the brown of his eyes so clearly. He was saying something, but I was busy noticing his perfect teeth, his lips...
“May I?” he was saying, with an amused expression on his face.
“Uh, sorry, what?” I heard myself speaking. Oh...what was I doing? I must have looked crazy, staring at him.
“I was asking could I sit here with you” he said, smiling.
As if ‘he knew everything’ smile.
Or, ‘I know am too sexy and I know you have been looking at me’ smile.
My heart fluttered, and taking my silence as a yes, he sat across me.
“So, you are waiting for Hitesh, right”, he said, a little too calmly.
I could sense something amiss here, but couldn’t place it.
“Yeah. Do you know him?” i asked.
“No. Not as such. See you later”, he mumbled and walked away. I was surprised at this little conversation. It was so-abrupt.
A moment later Hitesh cam, and I knew the first thing he was about to say would be Prateek sitting here.
“Oh, did I disturb something private?” he said jokingly. I smiled, suspicions confirmed.
Instead of replying, I went back to reading the journal, dwelling on how close Hitesh and I had come. And that too in a few days.
In the evening, as I was preparing to study, I decided to open fb. I had just signed in, when the chat window opened.
Prateek Oberoi (PO) says Hi.
PO: I’ve been waiting for you.
Holy crap. What the hell. Why was he acting like this? He barely knew me.
PO: there?>
SM (me): yeah. Watsup? You were waiting for me? Anything imp?
PO: yeah, just wanted to talk to you. Couldn’t talk to you earlier in the canteen.
Okay. This was getting strange. Why this sudden interest in me? Did he...no not possible. We had just met, and all the girls were crazy for him. Why would he show this sudden interest in me?
We chatted for a while, which ended in making me more suspicious.
Next day, Prateek joined me and Hitesh in the canteen, behaving as if we were best friends. I felt Hitesh feeling weird, as I was. But we both played on.
The next few weeks were a blur. Soon Prateek, Hitesh and I became good friends. Actually more than good friends. We used to hang together, all the time-in college, out of college. We would sit and talk about our hometowns, late into the night, drinking coffee. Prateek made the world’s best coffee!
This was only one of the things that made me fall in love with Prateek. He was so nice and caring, and I felt that he felt the same way about me.
It was a fine evening, a Saturday, and I decided to talk to Hitesh about it. I felt it was time, Hitesh knew about it all. Maybe he could help me decipher Prateek’s feeling for me. He could save me from committing a huge mistake. Yes, I should tell him.
I reached his room, and was about to knock, when I saw the open door. I opened the door, hoping I wasn’t disturbing anything. But what I saw when I entered the room is beyond words.
Prateek and Hitesh. Shirtless. In the same bed. Kissing.
Oh shit. They hadn’t seen me enter, and when they realized, it was too late. I had seen what they were doing. And understood well.
I ran out of the room, and heard Hitesh calling after me. But I couldn’t bear to see his face. He had kept me in the dark. And Prateek? Oh shit! Holy crap! This couldn’t be happening.
Why had I been so blind? Why had I missed all the signs? Prateek acting strange in front of Hitesh, and acting nervous. Oh. So Prateek had used me to get to know Hitesh.
Nearing my room, I stopped running, the scene flashing before my eyes.
And all I could so was laugh...and laugh...and laugh. And that is how Hitesh found me in my room: laughing and repeating two words ‘holy cow’! Of course I understood. That is the way they are. And will be. But nonetheless, HOLY COW!!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please give your views. Your feedback is very important:)
Thankyou:)