Sunday 5 August 2012

Million dollar question!

Beware: The following post is a submission to a blogging contest. Its about a new soap on T.V.
Those looking for other stuff, scroll down:)



It was an evening. Me and my mom were sitting in front of the television watching comedy circus on Sony channel.  It was rather quiet. A little too quiet. It was the silence after the thunderstorm.
Rather a series of thunderstorms, after the F-5 cyclone.
Well, a few days ago I had just told my mom about my boyfriend. Now, if you belong to a middle class Punjabi Family then you would instantly realize the connection between cyclones and boyfriend.
She had found out, actually. I had been on the phone 24*7 for a few weeks and after speculations and warnings she had finally asked me, "Do you have a boyfriend. Don't lie because you have been on the phone continuously and there can be only one answer to it".
I could have said "No mom, nothing like that", laughed a fake laugh and casually walked away,
Or, I could have said "No mom, I had just been talking to Priya/ Akansha/ Shruti", or any other girl's name(mind it, girl's name), again laughed a fake laugh and casually walked away.
Or, I could have cross questioned her "no mom. How could I?", with serious hurt in my eyes and stomped away furiously.
But, what did I do?? Without considering any of the above viable options, I said something inappropriate and equally stupid. I flinch every time I remember what I said.
I said, "Yes, I have one. His name is Arjun. Do whatever you can do". And that is why my life is miserable.
She could have slapped me.
Or she could have cried and emotionally blackmailed me.
Or she could have tried to reason me.
But she said "I am going to tell your dad".
My dad is the ultimate Punjabi dad. And I am scared to hell .
Oh Shit!
Now I could have said, "Mom, its not that serious", and laughed away.
Or, I could have said, "Mom, there's no use telling Dad".
Or, I could have said " ULLU BANAYA BADA MAZZA AAYA", and walked away.
But what did I do? I cried, shouted, and finally begged her not to tell Dad.
But only one condition  would she not tell Dad - Only if I break up.
I didn't. And whenever me and mom are alone, we have these thunderstorms about love marriage and arrange marriage.
That day, we were watching comedy circus, when this ad of the new serial came.
There were two girls, probably sisters, one a supporter of love marriages and the other arrange marriages.
I looked at my mom suspiciously. She was doing the same.
Awkward moment.
I cleared my throat and was about to change the channel when I the girl who was supporting love marriage scored a point over the other girl. She said sarcastically, " Pati chahe jaisa ho, sasural acha hona chahiye?", to which the other girl had no reply.
I could only just control myself not to stand up and start jumping and saying " Maine kaha tha..Dekha?".
I looked at my mom triumphantly, that one look saying everything I wanted to.

The next day, we were sitting together again when this ad came.I quickly snatched  the remote, and my mom rolled her eyes away as I looked on smiling.But I was in for a shock. This time the arranged marriage girl scored a point when she closed the argument by saying, "pyaar to andha hota hai"(love is blind).Now my mom could have smiled and looked away.Or, she could have completely ignored it,Or, I could have changed the channel.
But she said, "Dekha...maine kaha tha na? Hum to hai hi pagal"(See, I had said this earlier, but we are stupid people).

After this and a series of similar matches, me and mom are perhaps, most eagerly waiting for "Love Marriage ya Arranged Marriage" to finally see who wins. Or rather, to understand each other better. Maybe I can see her point, and make her see mine. I hope it helps to bridge the generation gap between millions of moms and daughters.:)

This post has been written as an entry to the contest "Love Marriage Ya Arranged Marriage" , new soap to be aired on the Sony Channel; organised by http://www.indiblogger.in/.
For more details visit: www.facebook.com/LoveYaArrange.
P.S. For the sake of it, this is a fictional story. Only with names changed.
:P(got the joke?...)

1 comment:

  1. nice post :) have a look at this one too whenever you get time :) All the best!!

    http://saurabhchawla2345.blogspot.com/2012/08/its-all-written-up-there.html

    ReplyDelete


Please give your views. Your feedback is very important:)
Thankyou:)